Today I thought I would share with you a perfect summer BBQ menu since the 4th is just a couple of days away. This year I’m not going to be hosting a BBQ for the 4th (and actually in my family I am rarely the one hosting because we have fabulous friends and family that usually take on the big hosting responsibilities), but this menu is a great BBQ menu for any size gathering and easily accommodates many peoples dietary needs.
Our circle has a LOT of different dietary needs, so it can be a little bit of a challenge to create a simple and delicious menu that can easily include everyone. When I’m having guests over I don’t like to be so busy preparing the food that I can’t enjoy the company. This menu allows for a lot of early prep and most of it can be put on the grill so rather than being in the kitchen you can be out by the grill with everyone celebrating (or you can put the hubs on grill duty like I do).
Even though I’m not hosting a large gathering this year, A and I enjoyed this meal a couple weeks while enjoying a beautiful summer evening!
Are you ready??? Here it is:
- Grilled Mushroom, Green Chile, Avocado Burgers (because a BBQ isn’t a BBQ without some mouthwatering burgers). Have Vegans or Vegetarians (this is me)? No problem, just grab a package of some delicious meat free burgers. Gluten or wheat free? No problem, grab a package of gluten free or sprouted wheat buns or suggest no bun (trust me this combo is delicious without the bun too). Low Carb? Again no bun is still amazingly delicious with all the flavors. Heart healthy dieters grab some turkey burgers or since I’m vegan I would again highly recommend a black bean burger. You get the idea though that you will be able to very easily adjust for each persons dietary needs.
- Grilled Summer Squash – super simple and super delicious
- Salsa, Guac, and Chips
- Vegetable Tray
- Fruit Salad
- Baked Beans
- Ice Cream with Sliced Strawberries, Chopped Toasted Nuts, and Coconut Cream because it is very easy to find ice cream in options for many different dietary needs as well.
Doesn’t all that sound delicious? Here’s the lowdown on prepping and preparing.
- I didn't include amounts because it is going to be dependent on the number of guests you are serving. Plus I struggle with amounts because I am an "add a pinch of this" or "a touch of that" and taste as you go type of cook. This should be a pretty easy recipe to adjust depending on how many burgers you will be serving.
- Burgers of choice - my favorite is a delicious black bean burger
- Buns of choice
- Avocados (I calculate about 1/3 an avocado per burger)
- Lime - about 1/2 lime per 2 avocados
- Minced Garlic
- Ground Roasted Green Chile (If you can get some fresh roasted at your local farmers market they are delicious, but I also get jarred roasted green chile too) 505 brand is my favorite.
- Condiments and tomatoes of choice
- Salt and Pepper
- Prep each item separately so your guests can build the burger of their dreams
- Mash the avocados in a bowl, add salt and pepper to taste, add lime juice, and mix all together.
- Slice mushrooms, place on a piece of tin foil, sprinkle with salt and pepper, drizzle a little olive oil over, and spread the minced garlic over the top, fold and enclose in the tin foil and put on the grill for about 10 minutes.
- Grill burgers to liking.
- Create a beautiful display of all ingredients: Avocado, Mushrooms, Green Chile, Fresh Sliced Tomatoes, Buns, Burgers, Condiments, and let your guests build a delicious burger.
- Sit back and enjoy.
Next up Grilled Summer Squash! This is so simple I don’t think you need a recipe card. Just slice your summer squash (I did zucchini and yellow crook neck squash), place in tin foil, drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper, spread minced garlic over the top, close up the tin foil and grill until tender.
This salsa is so good that A couldn’t stay out of it long enough for me to get some pics. Again, so simple no recipe card is required! In the blender add a 28 oz. can of whole tomatoes, about 1/4 cup of ripped up cilantro leaves (I just rip the leafy tops off the bunch and put in the blender), garlic salt, crushed red pepper, black pepper, a couple tablespoons of the minced green chile from your green chile burgers, and some garlic. You can also add some onion, but in my house onions are not allowed! Blend it all up, taste, season a little more if needed, refrigerate until you’re ready to serve. For the Guacamole mash up the avocados, season with some salt and pepper, add some lime juice and some diced tomatoes. Chill and serve. The lime juice is necessary for keeping the avocado from getting brown. For a little splash of fun I love some diced up Mango in my guac. . . . sooooo delicious!
Prep your vegetable tray. . . I feel like this is pretty self explanatory right?
For fruit salad, select some delicious fruit, slice, chop, dice and then squeeze half of an orange over it and mix up. You can add some cut up fresh mint for a little extra flavor too.
I usually cheat and buy the baked beans for a larger get together – Vegan of course. Put them in the crock pot on low so they are all ready to go.
End the evening with ice cream and some summer fun!
That’s my Summer BBQ menu. Hopefully this will help with some inspiration for your weekend celebrations!
Wishing you all a safe and Happy 4th of July!